C’s Civil Engineering Blast Off Laboratory! is the quick and easy way to get started teaching engineering in late elementary, middle school and early high school. Bring civil engineering into the classroom without the hassle of rounding up materials. Time saving and convenient, this lab is out of this world! Based on activities in Teaching Engineering Made Easy.
This 25 student pack includes:
- Cantilever Challenge– 25 Student Blast Pack
- In this activity, students work cooperatively to construct the longest cantilever that supports the most weight. Students will discover the relationship between joint strength and load.
- Straw Bridges – 25 Student Blast Pack
- This experience challenges students to construct a bridge using straws and paperclips. Students will apply knowledge of weight, torque, force and compression. Students work individually or in teams of two.
- Two Feet Feat – 25 Student Blast Pack
- The Two Feet Feat is a civil engineering activity that challenges students to construct a strong two foot tower from straws and paperclips in a limited amount of time. Students work individually or in teams of two.
- Careening Coasters – 10 Student Blast Pack
- Students work cooperatively to construct a roller coaster with one 360 degree loop or spiral, one hill and one 45-90 degree turn. Students will discover the relationship between gravity, mass, potential and kinetic energy.
- Wrecking Ball – 25 Student Blast Pack
- Students work cooperatively to construct a one foot tall building out of balsa wood that can survive a wrecking ball. Students will discover the relationship between gravity, mass, potential and kinetic energy.
- 25 Sets of Student Worksheets
- From Sundaes to Space Stations: Careers in Civil Engineering by Reed Brockman
- The Green Engineer: Engineering Careers to Save the Earth by Celeste Baine