100,000 Book Give Away
The 2014-2015 Book Give-Away is Underway! Next partner signup period is July 2015. Questions?
Join the Engineering Education Service Center (EESC) as an Official National Partner in the 100,000 Book Give Away and reach over 100,000 students and educators who share your interest in, and commitment to, engineering and engineering technology education.
Give away 100,000 copies of Is There an Engineer Inside You?, the leading book on careers in engineering and engineering technology to students, parents, guidance counselors, mentors and educators over 5 years.
A Very Special Book
This book has been the #1 engineering career book at Amazon and a high-ranking career guide for over a decade. It was recently positively peer-reviewed by over 50 engineering and engineering technology professors and is the most comprehensive book on engineering careers in the marketplace. The new Fourth Edition covers 38 different types of engineering and engineering technology, how to succeed in engineering school, women and minorities in engineering, engineering careers that make you say "wow!", salary information and much more.
You will learn:
- Why you already have the ability to be an engineer
- Why an engineering education is so valuable
- The differences between each branch of engineering
- The differences between engineering and engineering technology
- How to succeed in engineering school
- How women and minorities are getting ahead in engineering
- How you can change the world as an engineer
- About sports, music, medical and sustainable engineering
- What non-mainstream engineers can do for a living
The Science Teacher
“This book is an excellent resource for a high school career counselor or any student interested in becoming an engineer.”
Midwest Book Review
“Engineering students are disillusioned and dropping out: this provides a practical introduction to would-be engineers covering the basics of what studies are needed, how to make it through engineering school, and career opportunities which exist for engineers. A practical manual exploring the realities of work and career potentials.”
"Hopeful engineers now have a guide to succeeding in the field."
“New book helps students choose engineering.”
American Society for Engineering Education, Prism Magazine
“Author and biomedical engineer leads students through the engineering marketplace and offers insight on engineering education."
“Interesting and in-depth information to aid career decisions. This is a ‘must have’ book for anyone considering an engineering career. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who wonders what exactly it is that engineers do and whether or not they would like doing it. School counselors will also find the book very useful.”
“The perfect reference on choosing an engineering discipline and guiding you to success.”
Tech Directions: Linking Education to Careers
“The book features no-nonsense smarts about why getting an engineering degree may be the best thing a person could do for herself.”
How Books are Distributed
- Partners will each receive 300 copies to distribute in their communities to students, teachers, educators, or counselors at any type of engineering event.
- A customized copy of the book will be offered as a free download on each partner's website.
- A minimum of 1000 printed books will be donated to K-12 teachers and school counselors at conferences and engineering events. More organizations in the program = more free books distributed.
As a partner in this program you will get:
- 300 printed books to give away at your conferences, events and/or competitions ($7485 value!). Every book will contain your logo on the front and back covers and your website in the acknowledgements.
- A customized copy of the book (pdf updated yearly) that can be offered as a free download on your website. This can increase your website traffic and also provide local involvement and a positive community service. You may add your own recruitment text to the front matter of your web copy.
- Piggyback on a National Media Campaign and gain greater exposure for your program(s).
- Deep Discounts - As a partner in the program, you will be eligible to purchase additional books to encourage engineering careers for further distribution in your region for only $5 each. Not only will you be able to offer students the ability to download the book, you can also give the printed version to your local libraries, colleges, high schools, teachers, guidance counselors, parents and mentors.
Deadline: August 8, 2014. Don't delay! Be a part of helping 100,000+ students make an informed decision!
The numbers make sense. If you ordered 300 books (the number you receive in the partnership), your cost is $7485. As a partner in this program, you'll receive 300 books with your logo on the front cover plus a custom copy for your website for only $2200. It's an amazing value that can put your outreach efforts in high gear. There is no other similar cost saving opportunity and it's only offered once a year.
Deadline for participating as a partner for the 2014-2015 school year is August 8, 2014.
The books will be printed in late August for distribution in the beginning of the school year (September/October).
Website copies will be distributed to all partners in late August. This is a pdf that your website visitors can download to their iPads, laptops or personal computers for reading and/or printing. There are no restrictions. They may forward it to other people - that's ok too.
2014-2015 Distribution by Celeste Baine
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (200 books)
- Global STEM Education Center (50 books)
- Nicholson STEM Academy (144 books)
- Reading High School (1 book)
- Everett Public Schools (2 books)
- Raisbeck Aviation High School (64 books)
- Rockingham Middle School (40 books)
- Bio-Med Academy (16 books)
- Penn Manor High School Engineering Club (100 books)
- Casa Verde High School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (30 books)
- Muscatine Community School District (40 books)
- Timberlane Regional High School (1 book)
- Hampton City Schools (18 books)
- Meadow Hill Middle School (15 books)
- Robbins AFB, GA (20 books)
- Union Public Schools (15 books)
- Affton High School - Future Strong STEM night (80 books)
- Assumption School (1 book)
- St. Cloud Area School District 742 (12 books)
- Syracuse University (40 books)
- Midway Elementary School of Science and Engineering (6 books)
- Northampton Community College (10 books)
- Futureintech (20 books)
- Wichita State University, STEMpact2020 (40 books)
Apply to be a Book Recipient
Several small organizations will be chosen this year to receive free books. If you are holding an event for educators or students and think that Is There an Engineer Inside You? is the perfect book for your participants, please send us an email with the following information:
- Why or how the book supports your message
- Date(s) of your event(s), and
- The number of books requested.
We will choose several events at random.
All books for the 2014-2015 school year have been given away. Watch for our partner annoucement in the Spring to apply for books.
While a biomedical engineering student at Louisiana Tech University, I wrote the First Edition of Is There an Engineer Inside You?: A Comprehensive Guide to Career Decisions in Engineering. It was the book that I wish I'd had when I wanted to go to engineering school.
Across the nation, 30-40 percent of students drop out of engineering each year. Is There an Engineer Inside You?: A Comprehensive Guide to Career Decisions in Engineering, a one-of-a-kind resource, will help recruit and retain students. They will learn about 41 different branches of engineering and get on the path to a challenging, rewarding, and prosperous career by getting inside each discipline, learning the differences and making educated choices. Is There an Engineer Inside You? is packed with suggestions and has tremendous advice on thriving in an engineering student environment.
By distributing this book, students, educators, guidance counselors, mentors and parents will have a ready reference that demystifies and promotes the profession.
Why I'm Doing This Book Give Away
I am completely committed to making a difference in the world. I think about it before I fall asleep and it gets me out of bed every morning.
Engineering school is the best thing I ever did for myself. It enabled me to feel like I leap tall buildings in a single bound, run faster than a steaming locomotive, and have the ability to solve any problem that comes my way. I do what I do because I think that an engineering education can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a great launching pad for the rest of your life because it will help you in everything that you do and want to do.
- Altruistic and one of the greatest ways to make the biggest contribution to society.
- A door opener. Engineering education is a rite of passage. It opens the door to a new world of possibilities you never suspected existed.
- A confidence builder. When you finish your degree you will have the confidence and know-how to become anything you want to be.
- Inventive. It’s fun to be on the cutting edge of technology and it’s fun to try to make the world a better place to live.
Help me get this book into the hands of every student that wants to study engineering or engineering technology. It can't benefit students that never see it!
Having this kind of reference on the brink of a major life decision is invaluable. Students can only make the best career decision based on available information. By working together we can make this information more accessible and have a meaningful impact on their choices. I can’t think of anything more worthy than celebrating and encouraging each student’s desire to enroll in engineering or engineering technology school.
The 2014 Book Give Away was Made Possible By Our Partners